Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Sticky Caribbean Salmon

My recent decision to backpack Nicaragua this summer, got me inspired to make some Caribbean inspired food. Monday morning I woke up early had a hot coffee and headed down to Billingsgate Seafood Market, The place has been around for ages, If your looking for fresh seafood in Calgary make the trip you wont be disappointed. I found a beautiful thick piece of Atlantic Salmon. I wanted something about an inch thick because when I grill fish, I prefer to use skewers and 1 inch pieces are more manageable. After the fish market it was off to Sunterra Market to get ingredients for the Beans. This marinade is great for fish, chicken and pork but would also be great on a flank steak.

for the marinade you need.

5 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger (wash it then you don't have to peel it)
3 tbsp grated or chopped fresh garlic
2 red Chili peppers thinly sliced (I take the seeds out by cutting the stem off then rolling the pepper between my fingers)
2 or 3 tbsp of fresh thyme
1 tsp salt (I use Pink Himalayan salt because it has 84 minerals and trace elements. table salt is refined and void of nutrients)
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp Molasses (I use Organic Blackstrap Molasses because again it is a good source of vitamins and minerals)
1/2 tsp Angostura® aromatic bitters
1 tbsp Cointreau
Juice of 1 lime

1.5 lb Atlantic Salmon or whatever variety of salmon you can find

In a bowl combine all ingredients. allow to sit for 10 minutes to let the flavor mingle.

cut your salmon into 1 to 1.5 inch cubes add your marinade. let the salmon marinade for at least 1 hour but preferably over night. using a brush or spoon baste the salmon as it cooks. make sure to heat the grill and clean it well then turn it off use some cooking spray or some papertowl with oil on it to lube up your grill then turn the heat back on and add the fish. this will prevent your fish from sticking to the grill. cook until fish flakes. serve with lemon wedge and coconut refried beans

Serve with kicked up Coconut Caribbean Beans
and My Easy Pan Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment